New! Research Assistant
The Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women (CRIAW-ICREF) is looking for a dynamic, resourceful, and collaborative Research Assistant to join our small team in December 2023.
CRIAW-ICREF is a national not-for-profit feminist organization focused on researching and documenting women’s social and economic position in Canada using an intersectional feminist lens. The successful candidate will have strong organizational skills, the ability to work collaboratively and be self-motivated to work independently.
Hours of Work: between 12 to 20 hours per week
Location: Ottawa (hybrid)
The primary responsibilities of CRIAW-ICREF’s part-time Research Assistant are to utilize feminist, intersectional and participatory research methods to conduct literature reviews and assist in the writing of research documents and reports for various ongoing CRIAW-ICREF projects. The Research Assistant will report to CRIAW-ICREF’s Executive Director.
The main responsibilities and tasks of CRIAW-ICREF’s Research Assistant will be to:
- Conduct literature reviews to better understand the general context of identified issues.
- Plan, collect and analyze research data.
- Write research reports and other documents presenting the main findings of research projects.
- Attend and contribute to working group and advisory committee meetings.
- Keep the Executive Director informed of research progress, and propose actions or solutions as needed.
- Participate in conducting research for and drafting other resources for CRIAW-ICREF as needed.
- Support project research as needed.
- Other related duties as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, interpret, and analyze qualitative and quantitative data.
- Familiarity with using online survey tools, particularly SurveyMonkey.
- Excellent working knowledge with computers, utilizing Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, with particular attention to detail. Verbal and written communication skills in French considered an asset.
- Experienced and proficient in clear language and accurate writing.
- Ability to prepare summaries and reports on research findings.
- Research experience through a master’s degree or coursework in the social sciences and/or humanities, and/or a combination of training and experience in community-based research.
- An understanding of and commitment to feminist principles, analyses, and methodologies, particularly using an intersectional framework and participatory research methods.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with co-workers, women’s and equity-seeking organizations.
- Ability to grasp new concepts and assignments quickly and efficiently.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Well-organized and resourceful, able to accurately prioritize tasks, multi-task, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team member and ability to be self-motivated and work independently when appropriate.
This is a short-term contract of 4 months with the possibility of extension.
The expected hourly rate is between 28 and 30 dollars. This is flexible position; the Research Assistant may work from 12 to 20 hours per week.
This position is located in Ottawa. Deadline to apply is November 20, 2023. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Candidates should send their application by email to email@example.com. Please include a copy of your C.V. and a cover letter identifying how you meet the qualifications and relevant skills you have that are applicable to this position’s responsibilities. A combination of education, training and experience will all be considered in evaluating applications.
Applying an intersectional lens in all our work, CRIAW-ICREF recognizes there are a diversity of women in Canada and we strongly encourage Aboriginal/Indigenous women, Black women, racialized women, women with disabilities, LGBTQ women, and women living with multiple intersecting oppressions to apply.