Job Posting: Communications Officer at CRIAW-ICREF
The Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women (CRIAW-ICREF) is looking for a dynamic, resourceful, and collaborative Communications Officer to join our small staff team in June 2021.
CRIAW-ICREF is a national feminist research institute focused on researching and documenting women’s social and economic position in Canada using an intersectional feminist lens. The Communication Officer’s primary responsibility is to lead the organization’s communications. The successful candidate will have strong skills in collaborative work and the ability to be self-motivated to work independently. The Communication Officer reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Working with a strategic communication specialist, assists in the preparation of a strategic communication plan in line with CRIAW-ICREF’s organizational strategic plan, including monitoring and evaluation of the plan.
- Implements CRIAW-ICREF’s strategic communication plan.
- Develops and maintains a system to co-ordinate and track all knowledge mobilization/communication initiatives.
- Develops and uses consistent key messages and best practices for communications from CRIAW-ICREF.
- Identifies strategic opportunities for communications.
- Provides regular progress reports on knowledge mobilization/communication initiatives to CRIAW-ICREF’s Executive Director.
Plain Language Writing:
- Writes a variety of materials including detailed and summary reports.
- Coordinates the development and production of plain language materials (written and audio visual).
- Drafts briefing notes and speaking notes for CRIAW-ICREF’s Executive Director as requested.
- Under the direction of CRIAW-ICREF’s Executive Director, leads communications via the newsletter as well as Facebook and Twitter accounts in line with CRIAW-ICREF’s vision and mandate and strategic communication plan.
- Creates visuals to accompany social media posts and other campaigns, including infographics and gifs.
- Updates the website content.
- Assists in the preparation of reports to external funders on communications/knowledge mobilization activities under the direction of CRIAW-ICREF’s Executive Director.
- Staff resource to CRIAW-ICREF’s Membership and Fundraising Committee and Communications Committee.
- Works collaboratively with other staff on tasks related to CRIAW-ICREF’s visibility and outreach, including member and donor relations, webinars, and distribution/dissemination of project findings.
- Participates in the general daily activities involved in operating a non-profit organization.
- Coordinates and/or assists with CRIAW-ICREF’s publications.
- Member of the production team for the Feminist Word magazine.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in clear language writing and developing and implementing communication/knowledge mobilization plans using traditional and social media.
- Experience implementing a communications plan.
- Understanding and support of feminist analyses including knowledge of feminist intersectional theory and practice, and feminist ways of working.
- Previous experience in developing and working with audio files, video, and other forms of digital media is considered an asset.
- Experience in accessible and inclusive communications an asset.
- Previous experience in a non-profit organization an asset.
- Formal education: A degree or a diploma in Communications or other related field(s) an asset. A combination of experience, training and education will be considered.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in French an asset.
- Experienced and proficient in quick, clear language writing and accurate editing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with co-workers, women’s and equity-seeking organizations, media and the public, acting and responding with diplomacy while maintaining good relations.
- Ability to grasp new concepts and assignments quickly and efficiently.
- Excellent working knowledge with computers, utilizing Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), and desktop publishing.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Well-organized and resourceful, able to accurately prioritize tasks, multi-task, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team member and ability to be self-motivated and work independently when appropriate.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Expected salary range $55,000-$65,000.
This position is located in Ottawa but due to Covid 19, the position can be worked remotely within Canada.
Deadline to apply is May 12, 2021
Please send a cover letter, your CV and a one-page clear language writing sample with the subject line ‘[Your last name] Communications Officer Position’ to email@example.com.
Applying an intersectional lens in all our work, CRIAW-ICREF recognizes there are a diversity of women in Canada and we strongly encourage Aboriginal/Indigenous women, Black women, racialized women, women with disabilities, LGBTQ women, and women living with multiple intersecting oppressions to apply.
Please check out the rest of our website for more information on CRIAW-ICREF.